SUBJECT: First Corinthians
PROPOSITION: In this lesson we will look at the three main points of First Corinthians chapter 1: 1) Acknowledgement of Good, 2) Appeal for Unity, and 3) Authority for Action.
OBJECTIVE: The hearer should understand that Christ and Him crucified is the standard upon which unity and good works originate today.
1. Read: 1 Corinthians 1:10-13
2. About the Text:
1) The book of First Corinthians was written by the apostle Paul.
2) It was sent to the church at Corinth.
3) The purpose was to address the carnal spirit that existed there.
4) Paul begins to do this in chapter one with his exhortation for unity in Christ crucified.
3. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
I. Acknowledgement of Good
1. The church are the sanctified and therefore saints of God (1-2).
1) To be sanctified is to be holy; saints are holy ones.
2) While there were problems in Corinth, they were still saints.
2. God’s grace is powerful to work among the church at Corinth (3-8).
1) God’s grace enriches us in all speech and knowledge (4-5).
2) Jesus sustains us until the end when we will be presented guiltless (8).
3) Colossians 1:21-23
3. God’s faithfulness calls us to the fellowship of His Son.
1) We are called by the gospel (2 Thess.2:14).
2) Fellowship with His Son means forgiveness (1 John 1:7).
II. Appeal for Unity (10-17).
1. We are to have the same mind and judgment (10).
1) Jesus prayed for unity – John 17:21.
2) We must be united in our teaching – Ephesians 4:4-6.
2. Sectarian attitudes are sinful (11-16).
1) We have no authority to follow men or divide along party lines.
2) Dividing the body upon such a basis is sinful (Rom.16:17-18).
3. Christ is the basis for unity (17).
1) We are to identify with Jesus and no other (Galatians 2:20).
2) We identify with Him in baptism (Romans 6:1-11).
III. Authority for Action (18-31).
1. The gospel of Christ is the power of God and our authority (Romans 1:16-17).
2. God’s wisdom vs. Man’s Wisdom? God’s wisdom wins (18-25)!
1) Christ is the power of God.
2) Christ is the wisdom of God.
3) Colossians 2:3 – “in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.”
3. No human being will be able to glory in God’s presence (26-29).
1) The wise will not be able to do this.
2) The strong will not be able to do this.
3) Jeremiah 10:23 – “Oh Lord, I know that the way of man is not ….”
4) Proverbs 14:12 – “There is a way that seems right to a man….”
4. It is because of God’s wisdom and power that we are in Christ Jesus (30-31).
1) All spiritual blessings – Ephesians 1:3
2) Galatians 3:26 – “for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.”
1. In 1 Corinthians 1 we have . . .
1) Acknowledgement of Good
2) Appeal for Unity
3) Authority for Action